4 week beginners yoga course with Amy Hughes
In this 4-week workshop students who are new to yoga, or want to revisit the basics, will be introduced to the foundational poses of yoga, the basic breathing methods and the biomechanics of alignment in the postures so that they can practice confidently, comfortably and safely.
This 4-week yoga workshop is an excellent opportunity for students new to yoga or who are working with specific limitations or injuries to build a safe, fulfilling and enjoyable practice. Students will be invited to ask questions and to request specific tips for their personal practice.
There will be handouts and suggestions for home practice. Students will also be guided towards the types of class that might suit them as practitioners at the end of the course.
Each session will have a specific focus.
• Muscular and organic energy
• How to breathe – nasal, ujaii, extension and flexion
• Principles of good posture: feet, pelvis, shoulders
• Basic surya namaskars explained
• Foundation in the feet in lunges (drop knee options)
• Basic finishing poses and shivasana
• Using props and blocks and the wall (catering to our own needs)
• Principles of standing poses, forward bends and twists
• Basic backbending and shivasana
• Principles of balances and core stabilisation
• Bandha: arches of the feet, inner thighs, medial squeeze/hugging the midline, lifting what you’ve got
• Flowing and holding poses (breath and movement) – the principles of vinyasa
• Hips and hamstrings – most people’s nemeses
• An introduction to the wonders of inversions
• A review practice: A little of all we learnt
• How to find a class that works for you
Due to the limited number of spaces, no refunds will be offered for cancellations.